Canyon County Elections


Find answers to some of our most frequently asked questions below. If you still need help, you can reach us by email at or calling 208-454-7562.

Registering to Vote

Who may register to vote?

Anyone who is a U.S. citizen, 18 years of age or older, and has lived in the county for 30 days.

Where can I register to vote?

Registration cards are available under the Forms/Docs tab on this website and at the Canyon County Election Office in Caldwell. Online registration is also available at, as long as you have a current and valid Idaho Driver’s License or Identification Card.

What documents do I need to register?

Please be sure to bring the proper identification including a picture ID (documentation showing your legal name and your picture) and proof of current address. An Idaho driver’s license with your current name and address works not only to register, but also to vote.

Do I need to re-register if I move within the county?

Yes, even if you move across the street or down the hall to a new apartment, you must re-register. This ensures that you are still in the same precinct and are allowed to vote in the races that are appropriate for your location.

Is my registration good as long as I never move?

No, if you have not voted in at least one election in a four-year period, your registration is automatically purged from the State registration system. You will need to submit a new registration card or re-register online at

Is my voter registration public knowledge?

Yes, in compliance with Idaho Code 34-437, your voter registration is public record. The record, however, does not include sensitive information such as your social security number, driver’s license number, or date of birth.

What is the last day I can register?

Voter pre-registration closes 25 days prior to the election. However, you do have the opportunity to register at your particular polling place on Election Day. If you utilize the Early Voting option, you may register at that time as well. Please be sure to bring the proper identification including a picture ID and proof of current address. An Idaho driver’s license works not only to register, but also to vote.

How and Where to Vote

What is Early Voting?

Early Voting is available two weeks prior to the Election. The location is TBD and it closes at 5:00 p.m. on the Friday prior to the election. If you are early voting, you may also register to vote at the same time. Please call the Elections Office for further information.

What is an Absentee Ballot?

An Absentee Ballot enables you to vote in advance from your home. It is a perfect option for those voters who are homebound and are unable to come out on Election Day. It’s also an option for voters who may be out of town on Election Day.

How do I get an Absentee Ballot?

If you are currently registered to vote in Canyon County, you may complete a request form in person at the Canyon County Elections Office, or print one off from the Forms/Docs tab of this website. You may also sign up for an absentee ballot on All paper requests for an Absentee Ballot must be received in writing at the elections office. You can drop off or mail your request form at the Canyon County Elections Office or scan and email it to Please note, parents cannot request ballots for their children.

When should I send my Absentee Ballot in?

Please send your ballot back as soon as you complete it. The ballot must be in our office on or before Election Day at 8:00 p.m. to be counted. If you take your Absentee Ballot to your precinct on Election Day, it will be spoiled and another will be reissued. Ballots must be voted in the same precinct in which they are issued.

What to Expect on Election Day

What time am I able to vote on Election Day?

Polling Places are open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

How do I prepare, and what do I bring?

You can find your precinct by clicking “Voter Lookup” Upon arrival you will be asked to show an approved Voting ID or sign a “Personal Identification Affidavit”. Approved voting IDs are:

  • Idaho State Driver’s license or ID Card
  • Federal Issued ID
  • Idaho Concealed Weapons Permit
  • Tribal Identification Card

One month prior to Election Day you can see exactly what you have to vote on by clicking on “Sample Ballot”, enter your house number and street, if you reside in a district that has a race this election, a ballot image link will appear.

Accessible Voting

I have disabilities that make voting difficult. What can I do?

Canyon County is committed to ensuring no qualified individual with a disability is, by reason of such disability, excluded from participating in or denied the right to vote. All 51 precincts, as well as our Elections Office, offer several options for those voters who might require accommodation including:

  1. ADA compliant voting machines which help any individual with vision or hearing challenges;
  2. Curbside voting assistance during early voting. Voters are able to drive up and press a doorbell calling an Election Clerk to their vehicle for voting assistance as needed. Election Clerks confirm voter registration, bring the secured ballot to the voter as well as deposit the confidential ballot on the voter’s behalf, all while the voter remains in the vehicle;
  3. All voting locations have wheelchair accessibility and handicapped vehicle parking;
  4. Absentee Ballot voting is always an option for those who would like to vote from the comfort of their own home or residential facility in advance;
  5. Additionally, our Precinct and Elections Office Staff is always willing and able to help in any way that they can to provide a complete voting experience to all registered voters in Canyon County.

Any questions about voter accessibility can be answered by calling the Canyon County Elections Office, Monday thru Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Other Election Questions

If I do not vote in the primary, can I vote in the general?

Yes, you may vote in any election if you are a registered voter.

Do I have to vote by party affiliation for primary elections?

Yes, in a primary election you must pick a specific party ballot or vote on the nonpartisan ballot. Parties have the option to open or close their primary. The options for who can vote on which ballot change depending on what each party does. To find out which options you have based on which party you are affiliated with, please call our office at 208-454-7562

Do I have to vote by party affiliation for general elections?

No, party affiliation does not come into play for general elections.

Does the State of Idaho register by party?

Yes. As a result of a federal court decision the 2011 Idaho Legislature passed House Bill 351 implementing a closed primary system. Persons who are not members of a party may not participate in the selection of that party’s nominees unless the political parties opt to open their primary elections to “unaffiliated” voters and members of other political parties. The party chairman must notify the Secretary of State six months prior to the primary if the party intends to open its primary election to those outside the party.

Does my party affiliation affect my voting options in an election?

In primary elections, unless the party chooses to allow others outside the party to participate in its primary election, only registered voters of a political party may vote to select their party’s nominees. In other words, at primary elections, registered Republicans may vote only for Republican candidates, and registered Democrats may vote only for Democratic candidates. If a party chooses to have an “open” primary, then registered voters of any party may vote in their primary race. A party with a closed primary allows only registered voters from their party to vote for that party’s candidate. Typically, in Idaho, Republicans have a closed primary and Democrats have an open primary. Persons who are registered as “unaffiliated” (not affiliated with any political party) may not vote for partisan candidates in primary elections unless the party decides to allow them. Independent candidates appear on the ballot only at the general election and are not part of the primary election. Since Idaho has never required party registration prior to July 1, 2011, there are approximately 742,000 registered voters who are not affiliated with any political party. Electors can designate their party affiliation with the Democratic, Republican, Constitution or Libertarian Party or select no party affiliation (unaffiliated) by:

  • Filling out a Party Affiliation Declaration form before the deadline;
  • A voter who is unaffiliated may affiliate with a party at the polls at the next Primary Election.

Anyone who has not declared a party affiliation before a Primary Election will be registered as an unaffiliated voter. Twenty-five (25) days prior to an election, a voter may change their party affiliation. Sometimes there are elections on nonpartisan issues scheduled to be held in conjunction with primaries, such as judicial elections, bond or levy elections or state or local elections. All registered voters are entitled to vote on nonpartisan issues during primaries. Party registration requirements have no effect on general election procedures. At general elections, all voters receive exactly the same ballot and may vote for any candidate whose name appears on it, without regard to the political affiliation of the candidate or the voter.

Where do I find information regarding Campaign Finance Forms?

Campaign Finance is now done online on the Secretary of States website.